There are many people in the Church who are heavily misunderstood, misinterpreted, and ultimately rejected. Some of them are genuinely gifted individuals with revelatory gifts.
“Revelatory gifts” can be a mixture of many things. One can be a prophet, or an individual who operates in prophetic gift but is not necessarily called to be a prophet to the Body of Christ, many intercessors, people simply generally sensitive to the spirit realm, or even just those who hear differently than others.
For example, the gift of discerning of spirits in 1 Corinthians 12:10 lends discernment and a perception in 4 areas:
- Human spirit
- Demonic spirits
- Holy Spirit
So we understand that with just that one manifestation of the Holy Spirit’s input, we are able to see on many fronts, through the gift of discerning of spirits.
Ultimately, one is gifted according to the grace given to us (Romans 12:6) and God has chosen how to endow us with abilities and perceptions to aid in our assignment.
Hebrews 5:14 says “But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.” (KJ Version)
Strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, and those who are of full age. Full age? Actually, in Greek, the word age is “tenois” which means “complete in growth.” So strong meat belongs to those that are complete and have grown. They who digest stronger stuff are those who have worked out their senses.
In this verse, let’s look at a couple of other words in Greek as well. “Senses” is the word “aistheterion” in Greek. It actually means “an organ of perception.” Wow! You have “perception organs.” There are parts of you made to help you perceive and discern. What a thought.
“Excercised” in this verse (still Heb 5:14) is the Greek word, “gumnazo,” which means “to practice naked.”
What?? Let’s bring it all together… yes, it means that you grow your perception as you “practice your organ of perception nakedly.” Of course, it’s not referring to clothing. It’s referring to transparency as you openly embrace what God has given you. Another way of viewing it is, to practice openly.
We have some demonstrations of perception in the life of Christ – although, it was not about a “way” of perception, but about a “value” of following the Holy Spirit. Jesus followed the Holy Spirit in all things at all times through all settings.
Through he accumulation of various training and various mentors I have had, I made a list which demonstrates the various ways revelatory gifts can perceive insights from the Lord.
Before you read the list, these are in different people and in different degrees.
Use it as a checklist to see how many of these you identify with:
- Scripture speaks a language others don’t hear – when you read the bible, you hear God speaking in ways others don’t seem to see it or hear it. This is a part of your perception and revelatory gift.
- Authentic sense of liberty to interpret – When it comes to hearing God and discerning what He is saying, you have a mixture of both confidence and an authority in making sense of what God is sharing, leading, giving, speaking, and moving in.
- Presence doesn’t leave – You have a lifestyle marked by a nearness of God. Though we all have seasons of various encounters and experiences, revelatory gifts walk with God in a sovereign grace that enables them to interact with His presence in an unusual manner.
- Encounters unspeakable – You have encounters which you sometimes never share because they are so heavy, significant, and private with God. You encounter God in ways where the occasion is more about Him giving you something, than it is about you sharing with others. Impartation!
- Historical insights – (I’ll try to properly explain this) You have ways of connecting historical events, recent and past, with what God is saying and doing. This is not common. It’s revelatory. You have a keen sense of making connections to spiritually significant situations and interpret revelations from God in them. Wow, what a thought! The apostles of old did this all the time. They recalled old scriptures written in scrolls by the prophets and were able to make a revelatory connection histority. Peter did this in Acts 15 when he saw Amos 9:11 being fulfilled.
- Prophetic access – You have access to hear God unlike others do. You just talk to Him, He talks to you. Others can tend to get frustrated when they hear you share, because they just don’t seem to get insights like that. That’s a revelatory gift.
- Sentences build on ones tongue – God gives you words, revelations, impressions, ideas, or knowledge as you speak. Old Testament, this is Hebrew word, “nabi” which means “to bubble forth.” That’s how many prophetic gifts function, and few know it. So it you operate this way, never stop sharing your heart – your weapon is your mouth!
- Visions – Strong sense of visual faculties of your mind. Everything you contemplate is visual. Ideas from God, you dream a lot, you see pictures when someone is talking to you, or you see panoramic visuals when you pray. Embrace this gift from God and realize He’ll speak to you in visions. Key verse is when Jesus said in John 5:19 “I only do what I see My Father do.”
- Pains of others – Parabolic experiences – This one messes many people up. They believe they are experiencing something, but it’s the Lord sharing insights actually pertaining to someone else. This is a lot of how some words of knowledge come to us. You experience things in your life which God is not just allowing, but speaking to you through. This can be mentally, emotional, spiritual, or even physical. Wow!
- Perspective of His Will unfolding - When you hear others share, you are able to see how God is working and you have powerful insight from that understanding. Your words become powerfully relevant to people’s lives, because you are able to speak knowledge, wisdom, and understanding to people because you see His Hand moving.
- Words have color or life – You see words spelled out. This is amazing. All you do is ask God a question and you see words. You even see words spelled on people’s foreheads, chests, back of their head, or even hovering over them. Amazing! (I rarely see this)
- Sight brings activation of revelation – Whenever you look at someone, you seem to activate revelation in you. Remember, we operate in grace, not just gifts. Grace is what we move in. When you have revelatory gifts, you have revelatory grace (ability to pick up revelation) and your gift is just applied to different settings and different answers come to you. Just like asking different questions give you more specific answers.
- Gifts are common – You operate in gifts just about all the time no matter where you’re at. You don’t require a choir with you to listen to the Holy Spirit. It just comes natural to you.
- It’s always raining in your mind – Your mind is constantly flooded with insights from Him. Others have a lack or scarce life from Him but you are always picking up stuff. Awesome!
- Sense angels – You have an awareness of angels around different settings. Just this week, a visitor to one of our Wednesday nights came to me and said they saw many 15 foot angels standing in our sanctuary. Wow! Also, he said one was standing behind me with his hands out. Man!
- Love deeper – Jesus loves through you in an uncommon way. You just know how to love like Him. What better revelatory gift is there than a love of Christ loving people like they need to be loved?!
- Eternity has a clear visibility – This one scares me – You have a strong awareness of the reality, the existence, and the enormity of eternity. Much of your life is ultimately influenced by this. It helps you pay certain prices in your life, because you keep a reminder of where all things are headed – to eternity. You also can make decisions based from an eternal perspective.
- Heaven is accessible – You feel you have access to heaven’s economy, influence, downloads, and input. That’s all I’ll say about this one.
- Pray but too much happens – More happens when you pray than usual. Never stop praying! There’s obviously an authority on your life.
- God bugs you – God haunts you, bothers you, won’t leave you alone, keeps you on a short leash, and deals with you directly. Nuff said! lol
- Being awake is being aware – You wake up with deep thoughts about deep things. As you think and pray, you become aware of things and insights and different things Jesus reveals.
- Sensitivity – You have a sensitivity in your heart which causes you to pick up things on a level which is uncommon. You have a connection to so many dynamics in any given setting. Sensitivity is related to awareness.
- Noticing of details – You see little itty-bitty details which cause you to have insights. The slightest facial expression someone has. A sign you see. A picture or impression which comes to you in a flash. Little things like that with great significance.
- Hearing is intense – You can hear strongly. Not just in a spiritual sense, but even in the natural, you can hear things powerfully and intensely. Sounds are important. Sounds carry meaning, and a lot of the times, spiritual meaning and significance.
- Thoughts go to amazing places – This is not new age. This is the inheritance of a believer in Christ. Your mind can take your into such deep thoughts and meditation that you end up with answers from the Holy Spirit, unscrambling complex issues, and discerning confusing items. You go friend!
- See more – You see more than others see in life. It’s like you have large antenna’s and pick up things in your spirit that is beyond what others pick up on.
- Awareness beyond natural – It seems like revelatory people are always interacting with something beyond just what is seen in the natural. They have a cognizance of the Holy Spirit, and it causes them to say different things, see things differently, come up with amazing perspective, and most of all, hear and see God’s doing in things.
- Understand Nuts and bolts – You have this amazing ability to understand how things work in the Kingdom. It just makes sense to you. You are very studious and caring about how things work. This can be a great and insightful source of wisdom to others.
- See where things are going – You have a keen sense to make predictions, seeing where “the train” is headed by mere momentum. You are able to share wisdom and revelation because you can perceive the unfolding of things, even steps ahead before they happen.
- Hard to hear words when I see the heart – You are more occupied with someone’s heart than you are with just their words. Words are important, but you tend to see more in people’s hearts and are able to discern things that are going on in their heart. (I also suggest if to check yourself if you may be bound or wounded and functioning out of a critical spirit… there’s a HUGE difference. You may need deliverance!). This person can easily tell when someone’s lying.
- Big picture dominates small problems – You are able to interpret with things from a bird’s eye view. You make or don’t make decisions because of what you see and feel in the big picture. You don’t freak out about things because of the practical wisdom which comes from seeing the big picture. No matter what happens, you hear God through big picture items and themes. Wow! I love this one.
- Intercession – You get all sorts of insights and feelings to pray for people. You just know somethings not right. It goes beyond discomfort, and into a burden to pray. I thank God for these types of people!